Patient Care Volunteers
Volunteers who work with patients must meet eligibility requirements, complete required training, and demonstrate understanding of material taught in training. Patient Care Volunteers are able to volunteer in the Pediatric Specialty and/or Child’s Way day care.
The Pediatric Specialty Hospital, a 30-bed acute care hospital utilizes trained volunteers to assist staff in caring for children age birth to 21. Volunteer duties may include “baby holding,” rocking an infant when their family is unable to be present, reading to a young child, assisting in an arts and craft projects, therapeutic play or assisting in the completion of homework. Volunteer applicants must be willing to provide attention to children with disabilities and other special needs. Experience with children or in the education or medical fields is beneficial.
Child’s Way, a day care for medically fragile children, has volunteers who work with children age birth to age 21. Volunteer duties may include helping staff with monitoring children, supervision on playground, assisting with arts and crafts, story time and circle time. Volunteer applicants must be willing to provide attention to children with disabilities and other special needs. Experience with children or in education or medical fields is beneficial.
- Volunteers who will be interacting with children must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to make at least a one year commitment to volunteering a minimum of 4 hours per month
- Must complete ALL application materials, attend orientation and demonstrate understanding of the training materials
- Must obtain Act 33, 34, and FBI Clearances
- Must have a current TB test with negative results
- Must have two written references provided directly to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Must be capable of physically interacting with an infant or child for a minimum of 1 hour
- Must make appropriate judgments of the patient’s appearance and behavior based on visual and auditory “cues” learned in volunteer orientation and training
- Possess good health and be free of infection or recent exposure to a communicable disease
- Must be able to comprehend concepts of confidentiality, infection control, and the materials taught at Orientation
- Ultimate approval to become a volunteer is left to the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator and/or the Program Director
The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh & Lemieux Family Center typically holds one volunteer training each year in the spring. The training for 2016 has already happened. If you are interested in becoming a Patient Care Volunteer with The Children’s Home, please contact Amy Lind, Donor Relations & Events Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information, to be put on a waiting list for the 2017 volunteer training. We sincerely appreciate your interest in volunteering with The Children’s Home and appreciate your patience.
Volunteer Night at The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh
Where: 5324 Penn Avenue
When: The 2nd Thursday of February, July, and September
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (2 hours or less)
Please try to arrive as close to 6:00 as you can. You do not have to RSVP as to whether or not you’ll be attending, just show up and pitch in! If you want to RSVP, email Abby Kirstein. You do not have to attend every volunteer night. A staff person will greet volunteers and show you what to do. We will work until 8:00 p.m. or leave sooner if the work is complete.
Sample volunteer projects:
- Putting information packets together
- Stuffing, labeling, stamping envelopes
- Organizing and assembling blank patient charts
- Photocopying forms
- Folding linens
- Sanitizing children’s toys
- Organizing and inventorying donations of clothes, baby supplies, craft supplies, etc.
- Other projects as needed
From time to time The Children’s Home will hold special events for fundraising or public relations. Before, during, and after the event, volunteer opportunities are available. Contact Abby Kirstein if you would like to receive email updates regarding upcoming special event volunteer opportunities.