The work of The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh began in 1893 as The Pennsylvania Children’s Home Society. The organization was founded to care for orphaned children and place them in permanent homes. The Adoption Program still thrives today after 121 years of operation. In the 1980s and 1990s, The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh added two distinct, innovative medical programs with the purpose of furthering the continuum of care for children. The Pediatric Specialty Hospital (formerly Transitional Infant Care) opened in 1984 to provide a new model of sub-acute care for infants and their families; in 2007 this model was expanded to include patients up to age 21 with a wide variety of diagnoses. In 1998, Child’s Way was established as yet another model of alternative care for pediatric patients – a Pediatric Extended Care Center.
The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh & Lemieux Family Center is proud of its history, and we continue to adapt and change in response to new needs in the community. This year, we are excited to celebrate the Pediatric Specialty Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! In its 30 year history, the Pediatric Specialty Hospital has created a therapeutic environment providing the highest standard of innovative acute care to patients and has served more than 4,600 children and their families.
In celebration, we are sharing family stories from some of the children and families who have spent time at the Pediatric Specialty Hospital.